When working with a large fleet, it can be difficult to keep track of every single vehicle, their drivers, and their cargo. Disorganization can be a serious issue, especially with multiple vehicles in multiple locations.
Many fleet managers are integrating rugged tablet technology to improve the organization of their team. With better communication, tracking, and management, companies can improve a fleets overall efficiency and safety in the field.
Rugged tablet PCs are the ideal device for this job. Mobile and reliable, they can be mounted within vehicles for easy use by the driver and staff. They are protected against extreme temperatures, vibration, water, dust, and humidity, making them perfect for use in many conditions.
Improving the efficiency of an entire fleet can be as simple as installing a tablet in each vehicle. Here are a few of the ways purpose-built rugged tablet computers are changing the future of fleet communication and tracking.
- GPS capability. There’s no need for additional devices when a vehicle is outfitted with a mobile tablet. The large and all-light viewable screens allow them to be used as high-end GPS systems anytime.
- Better communication. With real-time messaging, audio/video calling, and internet connectivity, these tablets can be the primary device connecting drivers to one another and the office. With the tablet mounted in the vehicle, there is no losing or misplacing this device.
- Driver performance. Mounted tablets can be programmed to alert managers when a driver is over-idling, or drives recklessly.
- Vehicle performance. Mounted tablets can keep track of engine hours, odometer readings, and possible issues with the vehicle’s performance. Drivers can also log down issues with the vehicle for maintenance before they become serious issues.
- Real-time updates. Drivers can be alerted about accidents in the area, weather updates, and other real-time information that may pertain to their job. This kind of situational awareness can encourage safety on the road.
With the addition of mobile tablets, fleet managers and drivers can have all the tools they need at their disposal. Communication, efficiency, and safety are more easily attained, and managers can keep track of their assets every mile of the way. Built-in options like RFID scanners, barcode scanners, and other data collection can be added, making the mounted tablet a central hub for any driver, and management of the entire fleet becomes more effective and reliable.