Mobile technology is quickly becoming one of the most popular military upgrades, and it’s not hard to see why. By boosting productivity and adding a degree of mobility, rugged tablets have begun replacing laptops in military operations.
Unlike laptops, tablets can be used virtually anywhere, and only require one hand to carry safely. They can be mounted for easy use within vehicles, and aren’t as fragile as most laptops, even ruggedized models. Their familiar interface makes them easy to use, and they manage the same processing power as a traditional computer.
Here are a few more reasons that military-grade tablets are the next best investment, and how they can benefit any military operation.
- Real-time information and communication are the most useful tools any team can have. The ability to seamlessly share and view information is crucial to many operations, and tablets make it easy. Rugged tablets go anywhere the team goes, and they can be passed around, carried, or mounted within vehicles for easy viewing.
- With secure networks and locked-down devices, even mobile tablet computers can be just as secure as desktop computers. Properly fortified networks can make it difficult for intruders to gain access, and physical protocols like keycards and passwords/PINs can lock down any physical device. In the event of theft, tablet computers can also be remotely wiped or encrypted to protect data.
- Rugged tablets are designed with hard use in mind, and they meet all military specifications. With protection against drops, falls, and impact damage, they can be carried without fear of breakage. Their sealed ports prevent dirt, dust, and sand damage, and they are also certified to withstand vibrations and other threats, including water damage. This durability makes them safer than their larger, more cumbersome counterparts, especially more fragile devices like laptops.
- With multiple ports, rugged tablets can be used with a variety of accessories and tools. Pens, keyboards, and other tools can be plugged in and used immediately, reducing the need for additional devices and tools. This multifunctionality also makes it easy for older and newer staffers to use the same device. Where tech-savvy officers may work fine with the digital keyboard and touchscreen, seasoned staffers may require the keyboard and pen.
By providing the necessary tools for military operations to run smoothly, productivity is increased. Tablets speed up many necessary functions, thus reducing downtime and making it easier for staffers to move onto their next task.
Field workers do a very different type of work than most professionals. They’re always on the move, and they need tools that can keep up with frequent travel and the stresses of their job. Whether it’s cars, equipment, or even electronics, traveling employees have special requirements.
One requirement that is frequently overlooked is the need for real-time information and reliable communication. Traveling adds many variables to a job, from traffic and weather to changes in scheduling and company decisions. Unless they are kept updated on what’s going on, there’s a larger chance for accidents and errors on the job.
Here are a few ways that rugged tablets and real-time communication can improve a field worker’s job experience and efficiency.
- Improved communication. Whether they’re speaking to customers, fellow employees, or even superiors, tablets are a reliable on-the-go device that can offer real-time text, call, and even video chat communication.
- Increased functionality. Where laptops are clunky and cumbersome and smartphones are too small to use professionally, tablets are made to be both portable and efficient. With a reliable slate design and the powerful, full functionality, they can be used both as a communication device and a host for corporate data.
- Access to job-related content. From demos and tutorials to guides and maps, field service workers can be well-prepared for every opportunity and can complete jobs faster and more efficiently.
- Ability to handle harsh environments. Impact, heat, water, humidity, and even dust can’t kill a rugged tablet, and neither does hard use. Outfitted with high-tech industrial hot-swappable batteries, they can last entire shifts by adding batteries without the need to plug in or shut down.
- Secure file protection. Company data, customer information, and employee details are safe with purpose-built tablets. They can be fortified to hold even the most sensitive data, and locked down for specified use by certain employees.
- Collaborative abilities. Field workers can seamlessly work with other employees through digital means by adding to documents, communicating via text, or giving updates with pictures and video.
- Added payment options. With added applications and input systems, tablets can be used to collect customer information for payment. Work orders, credit card charges, and flat payments are easily collected.
With a rugged tablet, employees have the power and ability to work faster and more efficiently both on and off the field. Field service workers are constantly on the move, so why not give them a device that can move, work, and function just as fast as they do?