Like many field operatives, law enforcement officers require a device that can follow them onto the field and offer information, support, and high-speed connection on the go. Tablet computers offer the portability and functionality necessary in a professional context, and ruggedized technology is built from the ground up to fulfill the needs of field agents. Integrating tablet technology into any police force can improve productivity, safety, and response times.
Here are just a few features that rugged tablets can offer police operations.
- Security. Where consumer-grade tablets leave more to be desired in this aspect, purpose-built tablets are designed to protect sensitive information. They can be encrypted further and protected with fingerprint scanners, passwords, and PIN locks. The protection of vital information is top priority, and all devices used to collect and communicate sensitive data should be locked down.
- Durability. Rugged tablets’ primary feature is their durability. They are built for hard use, and are protected against a number of environmental threats. If a device is to be used in harsh situations, it should be adequately protected. Rugged tablets can withstand extreme temperature, vibration, shock damage, drops, falls, and water damage.
- Ease of use. If smartphones and laptops were a spectrum, tablets would lie in the middle. Their size and innovative slate design makes them easy to carry around, mount in vehicles, and pass off to other officers. Likewise, their size makes them ideal for viewing documents, maps, and images.
- Battery life. Many laptops have short battery life which is not useful in the field, and smartphones don’t provide the same features as a computer. Purpose-built tablets are designed with long-lasting battery life, hot-swappable battery packs, and multiple chargers.
- Wireless capability. Rugged tablets can connect to hot spots, high-speed data, and wireless networks with ease. They also offer 3G and 4G connection, allowing for real-time communication, traffic and weather updates, GPS, and options like video calling and streaming.
- Input / output. The versatility of tablets allows them to adapt and connect to various other devices, many of which can prove valuable. With a range of ports such as USB, HDMI, headset jack, and RS-232, rugged tablets can easily add on peripherals needed to focus on required tasks.
- Instant Data Capture. Rugged tablets with fully integrated data capture provides efficient options to read barcodes, RFID tags, and CAC or smart cards, transmitting the information directly to the office to check against a database. When time is of the essence, every second counts.
Rugged tablets offer a variety of benefits to field operations like law enforcement, and have a number of features that set them apart from consumer tablets. In professional contexts, purpose-built technology will always hold up better than consumer-grade tech.