The modern military requires more than just weaponry and vehicles. Technology plays a large role in how we communicate, coordinate, and collect information. However, with the nature of military work, there is a need for electronics that can shoulder more than a fair share of hard use.
Functionality and durability are the two most important factors when choosing a tactical device, and rugged tactical tablets are well-suited for this environment. With the mobility of a smartphone, they can travel anywhere they’re needed. Without skipping a beat, they can also handle functions and applications that are usually limited to desktop or laptop computers.
When tactical military design is involved, there is no better device than a rugged tablet. Here are five reasons why.
- Durability. Unlike many consumer-grade tablets and smartphones, tactical rugged tablets are built to last. Designed with protection against shock damage, extreme temperatures, water/humidity, and sand/dust, they are ideal for military operations. They can withstand hard use and continue working, and can be easily updated in any location.
- Mobility. Laptops and desktop computers lack the mobility necessary for tactical missions. Rugged tablets can be carried and mounted in vehicles for easy transportation, and with a variety of wireless networking they offer ultimate mobility while still staying connected.
- Versatility. Rugged tablets offer options for integrated data capture, like barcode scnaners, RFID and CAC readers and GPS, reducing the need for additional electronics. Soldiers can carry less, and still have everything they need at their fingertips.
- Size, Weight, and Power (SWaP). Small in size and lightweight enough to carry in one hand, these tablets can be carried for long periods of time without becoming cumbersome. Unlike smartphones, they have more processing power and can handle larger, more demanding applications without lagging or shutting down.
- Cost. Because of their durability and versatile design, rugged tablets can replace other devices and still withstand years of hard use. They are protected against obsolescence, and can be updated as needed. By doing the job of several other devices and still remaining durable, they are the most cost-effective option for large military operations.
The military requires both mobility, versatility, and functionality, and purpose-built tablets are some of the only devices that can deliver this kind of performance. When “ruggedized” and protected against extreme physical conditions, they quickly become the most reliable tools a soldier can have out on the field.