Field workers do a very different type of work than most professionals. They’re always on the move, and they need tools that can keep up with frequent travel and the stresses of their job. Whether it’s cars, equipment, or even electronics, traveling employees have special requirements.
One requirement that is frequently overlooked is the need for real-time information and reliable communication. Traveling adds many variables to a job, from traffic and weather to changes in scheduling and company decisions. Unless they are kept updated on what’s going on, there’s a larger chance for accidents and errors on the job.
Here are a few ways that rugged tablets and real-time communication can improve a field worker’s job experience and efficiency.
- Improved communication. Whether they’re speaking to customers, fellow employees, or even superiors, tablets are a reliable on-the-go device that can offer real-time text, call, and even video chat communication.
- Increased functionality. Where laptops are clunky and cumbersome and smartphones are too small to use professionally, tablets are made to be both portable and efficient. With a reliable slate design and the powerful, full functionality, they can be used both as a communication device and a host for corporate data.
- Access to job-related content. From demos and tutorials to guides and maps, field service workers can be well-prepared for every opportunity and can complete jobs faster and more efficiently.
- Ability to handle harsh environments. Impact, heat, water, humidity, and even dust can’t kill a rugged tablet, and neither does hard use. Outfitted with high-tech industrial hot-swappable batteries, they can last entire shifts by adding batteries without the need to plug in or shut down.
- Secure file protection. Company data, customer information, and employee details are safe with purpose-built tablets. They can be fortified to hold even the most sensitive data, and locked down for specified use by certain employees.
- Collaborative abilities. Field workers can seamlessly work with other employees through digital means by adding to documents, communicating via text, or giving updates with pictures and video.
- Added payment options. With added applications and input systems, tablets can be used to collect customer information for payment. Work orders, credit card charges, and flat payments are easily collected.
With a rugged tablet, employees have the power and ability to work faster and more efficiently both on and off the field. Field service workers are constantly on the move, so why not give them a device that can move, work, and function just as fast as they do?