Warehouses serve as the base of operation for many companies, which also makes organization most necessary in these places. Information regarding inventory, employees, and clients must be kept in order to prevent mistakes. Systems made up of several different types of equipment can make it difficult to keep track of and update information, and employees are burdened with various handheld scanners, touch screens and printers making mobility more challenging.
Workers must be able to do their work quickly and efficiently to meet deadlines and fulfill delivery orders, and they require real-time communication and updates to do their jobs productively. If there is a change in plans, an adjustment to the deadline, or an unexpected job order, workers need to be informed. Tablet computers can make that easy by offering all the needed information in one place.
When used with mounting devices in place, purpose built tablets can be implemented and used nearly everywhere. Rugged tablets are designed for hard use, so there is almost no limit to where they can be placed. Mounting them in forklifts can allow for seamless integration of the systems, easier tracking, and organization. This can streamline processes that used to take longer, and reduce the likelihood of human error.
With rugged tablets, managers and companies can begin utilizing barcodes and RFID for increased organization and data collection. Forklift mounted tablets can be used hands-free, or be taken from their mounts for up-close inspection. With rugged tablets, the benefits far outweigh those of a paper based or multiple –device system. Here are a few of the benefits:
- Inventory. What a shipment contains, where it should go, and what client it belongs to.
- Outdoor use. Purpose-built tablets are designed for outdoor use, so the screens don’t give off glare. They stay readable, no matter the lighting.
- Reduction of human error. Tablets can help workers identify mistakes faster, and they can be fixed or reported before they become issues.
- Organization. Shipments can be scanned as they are loaded or unloaded, matched up to other shipments, or designated to specific areas for delivery or pickup.
- Increased productivity. With tablets to assist workers, forklift operators and other field operators can work more efficiently. Less downtime, fewer mistakes, and real-time communication makes it easier for workers to do their jobs.
We are just beginning to understand how we can better utilize tablets in our workspaces, warehouses, and ports. Barcode and RFID scanning is one of the steps in making the most of portable technology like tablets, and many more features can be brought to bear on warehouse efficiency as well.