Order fulfillment requires a number of processes that cannot be handled entirely by machine. Picking and packing may be handled by actual employees or with the help of robotics, but that does not mean technology cannot improve upon either system. Mobile devices like tablets are making it easier for employees to improve efficiency, save time, and become more productive.
Rugged tablet systems are ideal for these situations. Along with being the most durable option for this setting, they can transform warehouses into a well-oiled machine of its own. By offering employees the blueprints they need, tablets can improve existing systems and help input newer, more efficient routines.
Here are five ways that rugged tablets are transforming warehouses.
- More comprehensive data collection. Without the need for reports, data can be easily collected and assessed at the end of the day. Checks and balances can be created to make sure every step of the work process is completed, and digital records are much harder to lose.
- Increased productivity. When workers are given the tools they need, they can do their jobs faster and more efficiently. Tablets can determine the most productive route to take, what needs to be done, and keep track of packages.
- Better assessments. Because tablets are always collecting data, managers can assess employee performance and productivity easier. Problems with the system can be ironed out quickly, and improvements can be identified much faster.
- Increased accuracy. Employees are less likely to make mistakes when they have all the necessary resources at their fingertips. Having tablets on-hand can give them the guidelines and reminders they need to avoid or identify mistakes.
- Better communication. If something goes wrong, more than one set of hands is needed to fix it. Tablets offer real-time communication, so employees can call in a problem right when it happens. The necessary support can be reached immediately, which creates less downtime.
While many warehouses have been trying to phase out traditional packing lists, many mobile devices have not stood up to the task. Rugged tablets are purpose-built for hard use, and can withstand almost any potential damage. They’re designed with protections against drops, falls, and impact damage.
Rugged tablets can handle any warehouse workload. Having a digital record-keeping system also prevents data loss, so companies can always keep track of their assets. Rugged technology is changing warehouses across the world, and it’s only a matter of time until tablet-based picking carts replace their predecessors.