Cruise lines have a number of unique challenges when it comes to data collection, verification, tracking, and confirmation. Rugged tablets with barcode readers and other scanning functionalities can provide exceptional solutions to many problems faced by the cruise industry, including any or all of the following:
- While previous barcode technology was deemed too slow for mass transit, updates to the tech involved make reading barcodes faster than ever. Aides stationed at boarding areas for cruise liners can quickly process passengers with printed or phone scanned passes for swift, efficient boarding.
- Lost or misplaced luggage is less of a worry when a barcode reader can be employed to instantly match passengers and bags. A system that included the entire manifest with passengers, bags, and room numbers all synched can make for easy delivery of luggage when required from holding areas or if a bag is left unattended or misplaced.
- Room Service. Barcodes for each room that correspond with passengers can be scanned for room service to easily track orders and extras for billing purposes, whether it’s food and beverage delivery or in-room bar replenishment. Tablets carried by staff can be used to quickly enter data and assign to the correct passenger with a quick scan.
- VIP Events. Barcodes can also be scanned on wristbands for entry into special events on board, providing a quick way to ascertain which guests require admission, and even verifying legal age in instances when family events may include alcohol availability. Barcodes can be printed on wristbands or on badges for easy access.
- Off-Ship Trips. Badges or wristbands with barcode printing can again be used for day trips on shore, to ensure all passengers are accounted for when off and on-boarding. Codes can be generated that are vehicle specific if the group is large enough to require more than one mode of transport, or for specific activities if there are varied options for groups going ashore.
As a type of portable terminal, rugged tablets are ideal to use in harsh environments. They can withstand vibration, bumps, impact, and drops, are versatile enough to be customized for specific duties or functions, and deliver a secure experience that is compatible with existing security and closed networks for guest safety and privacy.
Rugged tablets with integrated barcode scanners are easily transportable, can be held in one hand, provide instant access to data and a quick way to verify identity, and can streamline many cruise line activities and procedures. This helps ensure the safety of the passengers and can keep billing simplified for those who take advantage of items or activities not included in the cruise base cost.