Simplifying logistics is a definitive goal for the supply chain industry, but effective solutions have been hard to implement. Technological advances provide viable answers to the challenges that face packaging, warehousing, and transportation companies, and rugged tablets deliver flexibility and functionality.
Handheld out-of-the-box data devices don’t have customization, and consumer quality tablets have repeatedly failed to stand up to the demands of high energy logistics based environments. Rugged tablets are designed for both purpose-built functionality and durability, making the ideal solution for use in rugged environments, such as warehouses and loading bays.
Being able to assign a tablet to a dock, a vehicle, a shipment, or a specific vendor or delivery service can make tracking every item in a warehouse or system easy and effective.
Benefits of purpose built rugged tablets for logistics include:
- Data capture via various formats, including keyboards, touchscreens, digital pens, barcode or RFID scanning, and image based instant code reading or image capture capability. Signature verification, payment or shipment / package release, onscreen input capture and card scanner options, and more.
- Real time tracking and mapping, whether in the warehouse or on the road. Workers can track a crate, pallet, or box in the warehouse through the loading process, shipment, and delivery, all the way to its final destination. Multiple shippers are no problem, with updates on time or temperature sensitive deliveries and alerts about weather or traffic delays delivered instantly.
- Communication between tablets and through a closed network to dispatch, vendors, carriers, and HQ are secure and private with encryption based on the latest technology. Lost or stolen tablets can be tracked or wiped remotely if required.
- Documentation errors are minimized, data handoff seamlessly achieved, and duplication of work slashed to a minimum with immediate updates across systems.
- Tablets can be handed off without fear of damage in rugged environments, mounted securely to vehicle dashboards or static terminals, used with docking systems for swift mobile to hand carry status, and even used in areas with high humidity, severe weather, and temperature extremes.
- Screens that adjust to light availability allow easy indoor to outdoor transitions, and touchscreens, detachable keyboards, digital pens, and battery charging stations ensure the tablets can be used around the clock as needed.
Rugged tablets can be expected to keep providing superlative answers for the logistics industry, driving supply chains forward while improving productivity and speed.