Privacy and security is especially important when handling sensitive data. Many mobile devices fail to offer the kind of protection necessary to keep people and companies safe from prying eyes, but that’s changing with the advancement of the rugged tablet for government and military use as well as corporate and retail implementation.
Commercial-grade smartphones and tablets don’t always have security as a top concern, and their users may put data at additional risk due to installed apps, careless password usage, and more. Hacks involving hundreds of thousands of bytes of personal information happen daily, and industries that depend on keeping consumer or patient trust need solutions that stand up to the most rigorous standards of privacy and security.
Here are 8 reasons that rugged tablets are the leader in mobile security, and what people should look for when selecting a mobile device.
- Physical Security. Tablets can be configured with built-in security locks, and other fail safes to prevent physical access of data.
- Pre-boot Authentication. As long as a device is shut down, a thief will not be able to turn on the device without the pre-set code.
- Card Reader Access. Keying a tablet to a CAC reader or other type of scanned code can stop invasion of privacy even if an active, unlocked tablet falls into the wrong hands.
- Mobile Device Management. This functionality allows a device to be instantly locked or even wiped in case it gets stolen, to protect both user and data from a breach.
- Data Encryption. With proper encryption, even the most sensitive data can be protected and almost impossible to decipher. This prevents data loss against both theft and cyber-attacks, so all fronts are thoroughly well-protected.
- Remote Location. While PINs and passwords mean access can be denied at multiple points, a stolen or lost device can be tracked and retrieved.
- Biologically Sensitive Options. Options such as fingerprint scanners and voice recognition protection are on the horizon for rugged tablet users.
- Two-step Verification. For highly sensitive data, a tablet can be secured behind two or more authentication processes.
The digital age comes with a lot of advances in both technology and the way data is stored and protected. With cyber-hackers intent on accessing any and all unprotected data, and mobile being the weak point in many security protocols, having secure devices is a must for sensitive data.