As tablets enter the workforce in ever increasing numbers, companies are finding new ways to use the technology to boost productivity, cut costs, and encourage efficiency. Rugged tablets are an investment with a significant return, and many industries are equipping their employees with handheld computers to get ahead of their competitors.
However, tablets may be going largely unnoticed by construction companies, despite their multitude of uses. Precision technology in the hands of construction workers can reduce costs across the board while delivering a variety of useful functions and exemplary results.
Here are just a few ways rugged tablets can help with cost reduction in the construction industry, both on and off the field.
- Document distribution. From sharing plans and blueprints to inventory lists and material audits, tablets can reduce the cost of paper and printing, while putting the plans directly into everyone’s hands.
- Faster communication. Whether there’s an emergency, a delay, or a problem, a tablet can make it easy to get a hold of employees and notify them of changes. This can reduce confusion and accidents, and even save lives.
- Real-time weather tracking. This is useful in almost any situation, but invaluable to construction workers. Weather can make or break a work day, and knowing exactly what the skies might be bringing can help construction teams plan accordingly.
- Management of supplies. With tablet technology, workers can keep track of inventory lists with a few taps, and know exactly when they need to restock or file an order request. Ordering and shipping can be automated as well, eliminating idle time between deliveries.
- Virtual meetings. Applications like FaceTime and Google Hangouts have made it easy to talk face-to-face with anyone, whether they’re states away or across the street. Workers can communicate with coworkers or employers without leaving their station, saving them both travel time and travel expenses.
Construction workers and project managers alike can benefit from the boosted communication and extra functions rugged tablets offer the construction industry. From preventing accidents to encouraging productivity and saving time, tablets are an investment that cut costs in almost every department.
While consumer tablets are subject to breakage under harsh conditions, rugged technology is designed to handle hard use. With protection against impact damage, dust, moisture, and even extreme temperatures, purpose-built tablets can handle almost anything a construction site can throw at them. They are the perfect construction worker’s tool, and the ideal device for any construction company seeking to increase savings.