As more service members of the younger generation join the ranks, military operators are striving to make the most of their unique skills. Many of them have spent their youth using smartphones, computers, and tablets, making the transition to professional military-grade devices easier. They have previous experience with these devices, so it is the best time to begin introducing digital tools to aid military operatives.
However, by reducing paper-based forms of communication, data collection, and planning, there are now new issues to tackle. The devices being used need to be sturdy, reliable, and able to work under all kinds of stress. Physical, environmental, and technological retrains need to be eliminated, leaving a versatile device that can carry an entire workload and still remain mobile.
Purpose-built tablets are the solution to that problem. Where consumer-grade tablets fall short of professional expectations, rugged tablets for the military are designed with:
- Secure motherboards and solid design, making them resistant to vibrations, shock damage, and falls/drops.
- Large screens that are visible in all conditions, including dim settings and ultra-bright conditions both inside and outside.
- Extended battery life, high speed charging, and hot-swappable batteries.
- Built-in resistance to water, humidity, and snow. These tablets are also designed to handle dusty/sandy conditions, extreme temperatures, and other environmental dangers.
- An innovative slate design that’s both mobile and lightweight. This device can be carried, passed from person to person, used on the move, or mounted in vehicles.
- Complete input/output capabilities. Keyboards, scanners, and other specialized items can be used seamlessly for ease-of-access and speed.
- Secure digital protection, including built-in verification tools like PIN entry, CAC readers, barcode scanning, and a full color camera.
- Resistance against obsolescence. These devices have a long usability frame and lifespan, and they are easily updated remotely or onsite.
Along with their existing benefits, rugged tablets can be programmed to focus on specific tasks. Their functions can be tailored for peak productivity, and they can be re-programmed if they need to be used in a different field. Along with being digitally reliable, they offer a layer of physical protection that consumer-grade tablets may lack.
Purpose built, military grade devices are designed without bloatware, excessive branding, or pre-installed applications, and can be used for many projects. Newer recruits may already have background knowledge on how to use these devices, and their straightforward user format make it easy to train operatives who lack prior experience. They are mobile without being complex, and combine the durability of rugged tech with the usability of modern technology.