Law enforcement officers do everything in their power to keep civilians safe, but there are many cases when an officer’s safety is needlessly compromised, even in day-to-day situations. Rugged technology is designed to withstand hard conditions, operate in demanding circumstances, and alleviate dangers on the job, making them perfect for use by police officers and other law enforcement officials.
Here are just a few ways that purpose-built tablet computers keep law enforcement officers safer.
- Situational awareness. With an entire network of law enforcement officials and first responders, individual officers can stay updated on locations and suspects as the information comes in. Videos, maps, photos, and real-time updates can keep them from going in blind and putting their lives in danger.
- Real time communications and updates. Radio units, cell phones, and even smartphones have limited capabilities when it comes to digital use. Tablet computers are designed to have the same base capabilities as a laptop or desktop computer, making them the most useful portable device to have on hand. Pulling up important data, opening documents, sending out information, and connecting to databases is just a few of the things tablets can do, even simultaneously.
- Enhanced collaboration. With tablets, officers can wirelessly communicate via voice or video calling, instant messaging, or email. High-speed 4G LTE allows them to connect to the fastest possible network to ensure that their message comes through loud and clear, and notification systems on these devices are more reliable than radio networks. Officers can plan, coordinate, and carry out group efforts with increased cohesion, ensuring that the job will get done.
- Identification. Previously, most identification had to be done at police offices or bases. Tablets allow officers to run plates or facial scans without having to call them in and wait for results, so they can know immediately the scope of the situation.
- Durability. When it comes to technology, durability is an issue. No officer wants to get stuck with a device that doesn’t work, and many consumer-grade devices are not made with hard-use in mind. Rugged tablets are purpose-built to withstand extreme temperatures, shock damage, vibrations, water, and even drops to concrete.
With tablet technology, high-speed wireless communication, easy-access records, and the means to snapshot and record data are on-hand at all times. This can smooth over many processes, keep officers informed, and even protect their lives out on the field.