When selecting a new mobile device to send out to a task force or unit, just finding an aesthetic, affordable make and model is not enough. Matching the device to the needs of the application and user is important, especially when deploying devices intended for precision or sensitive use, or that will be expected to improve efficiency and productivity.
What is a Purpose-Built Device?
A “purpose-built device” is any machine that is built for a specific task. When it comes to rugged tablet tech, the potential for purpose built design is endless:
- A military grade rugged tablet designed specifically for field mission use
- A rugged tablet for construction workers, with GIS capability
- Rugged tablets for first responders, with radio capability and a vault of knowledge base material for emergency situations
- Local and municipal government use rugged tablets for extra security and portability
- Rugged tablets for retail and hospitality, when flexibility and speed are high priority
- Rugged tablets for medical applications, with anti-microbial coating and various data-capture modules to record patients’ information
There are many things to keep in mind when selecting a device and requesting purpose built tech, but the most important features will always be:
From cruise ship deployment to daily use on construction sites, rugged tablets are built to withstand demanding use. Their durability makes them ideal for harsh environments, whether the risk is impact, dust, moisture, or vibrations.
The ability to custom build a tablet to include familiar programs, include backward compatibility if necessary, integrate fully with existing programs, and create new unique applications based on specific needs makes the purpose-built device easy for users to understand, shift to, and train on.
Purpose built tablets are built to run on the same platforms as most other tech, so they can smoothly integrate with existing networks and ongoing updates with familiar software. This also protects them from obsolescence; purpose built devices are well planned and designed to continue to be functional years after deployment.
Tablets are the perfect mobile purpose built device, combining the mobility of a phone with the processing power of a computer. Single hand carrying capability and detachable keyboards allow for quick transition from office to on the go, and vehicle mounts and touch screens make working from a vehicle or in the field even easier.
Rugged tablets can be designed for any fleet of workers, in any industry or vertical, from warehouses to military bases. Designing tech for specific uses is the next technological step into the future. Within weeks, purpose built tablets can be fully deployed, increasing productivity and streamlining operations wherever they are used.