Constant motion, pre-emptive planning, and thorough, rapid research are all regular parts of being an emergency manager. A device that can keep up with the fast-paced stresses of the job can be vital to saving lives.
More emergency operations are picking up tablet computers as their portable device of choice over laptops and smartphones. With an easy-to-handle slate design, expanded functionality, and bigger screen, they allow portability without sacrificing speed and power.
From geotagging photos to taking notes, purpose-built tablet computers are paving the way for emergency managers to work faster, effectively, and more safely. Here are twelve ways that ruggedized tablets are changing the game.
- Digital documents. With technology quickly replacing paper-based systems of record-keeping, it may be necessary to skip paper records entirely. Tablets can make it easier to write reports and update files, no transcription necessary.
- Updated maps. This can be necessary after storms, fires, or natural disasters. Geotagged photos and map-marking can make it easy to locate where damage has occurred.
- Real-time weather updates. Weather tracking can be necessary, especially for emergency management personnel. Whether it’s tracking winds during a wildfire, giving updates on a storm, or mapping flooding, a reliable source of information can be crucial.
- Monitored social media. Keeping official accounts updated, communicating with coworkers, and assessing public reaction can be done anywhere from the palm of your hands.
- Information backlogs. Carry and open important files, documents, photos, and videos with ease, so they can be accessed at any time, no matter the situation.
- Durability. Where laptops and smartphones are in grave danger when it comes to drops, falls, and water damage, rugged tablets are designed to take the heat.
- Improved communication. With 4G LTE connectivity, tablets can help people keep in touch with one another, no matter where they are in the world. Warning systems, emergency calls, and rapid-fire messaging has never been easier.
- Productivity. With an on-hand device, there doesn’t have to be any wasted time. Printing maps, filing reports, and walking back to desktop computers to send emails is a thing of the past.
- Long-term investment benefits. Ruggedized, purpose-built tablets are designed to last, both technologically and physically. Where they can handle physical stresses with ease, they are also protected against obsolescence; reliably operating for many years.
- Versatility. Whether the tablet is being mounted in a car, carried in-hand, put in a bag, or being passed around a group, their slate-design and lightweight build makes them perfect for any situation.
Emergency managers who can add a rugged tablet as a valuable tool to their kit may find their jobs made easier and more lives saved as a result.